The Northern British Columbia Graduate Student Society (NBCGSS), represents almost 600 full-time and part-time graduate students. It was founded in 1997, less than a decade after UNBC was founded. The Board consists of:
- Director of Community Development
- Director of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Director of External Relations
- Director of Indigenous Students’ Affairs
- Director of Internal Relations
- Regional Students’ Representative
- Three Directors-at-Large
The purpose of NBCGSS is to advocate for graduate students at UNBC; facilitate communication between UNBC faculty, staff, administration, and graduate students; and offer services, supports, and activities to graduate students.
In March 2016, the NBCGSS membership voted in a referendum to join the British Columbia Federation of Students (BCFS). The BCFS provides a venue for students to effectively communicate, collaborate, organize, and mobilize to advocate collective interests locally, provincially, and nationally. The BCFS also provides services for individual members and member local students’ unions.